Thursday, September 5, 2019

Boat leaning or tilting to one side

Boat leaning or tilting to one side Boat leaning or tilting to one side Do you own a boat that is leaning or tilting to one side? Hopefully this short video will help you troubleshoot your problem. In my case, I noticed that my boat was always leaning to the starboard side. For those of you that can’t remember that’s the right side, the driver's side. At first, I thought it was just me in the driver's seat. But recently on a calm day I had an opportunity to view my boat from behind in the water. It was plain to see that it was leaning to the right side even though it was sitting empty. I took the boat out of the water and brought it back home to my laneway. I inspected the bilge area under the engine, and that area was dry. My curiosity prompted me to remove the screws that support the swim platform on the side that the boat was leaning. Immediately water started to pour out from the three little screw holes. The water ran out for about fifteen minutes. I’m not an authority on boats, but it looks like my bow rider has a cavity area on each side that is not supposed to have water because it is built to help support the weight of the engine. There is no way that this water can escape to the bilge area and be automatically pumped out. After the water stopped running, I decided to drill another hole lower down, closer to the bottom of the boat in that area. I tilted my trailer and boat as high as I can, and the water continued to drain out. I left the boat in that position for two days to make sure that no water remained in that cavity area. I went to my local boat supply store, and they recommended three different products to fill and sand that area. It’s a simple fix if you have the time and tools. I repaired it myself and had the pleasure of using my pleasure craft all summer. After my boating season, I’m going to throw a little money at it and have it redone by a professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment